Thursday, August 12, 2010

Witches Falls 2007 Syrah

Most people don't know this but there is a region in Queensland that grows a considerable amount of grapes and a lot of wine comes out of it - the Granite Belt. Wineries are scattered all over the place and also spill over to the nearby areas such as Mt. Tamborine. Witches Falls is located in that region. The actual vineyard is minuscule. Owners get a lot of grapes from the Granite belt and mix it up.
The 2007 Syrah is their premium range. The bottle I bought at the cellar door set me back by $48. It's nothing like your usual Barossa Shiraz. It tastes very different - you can tell. Was it good to drink? I can't say I enjoyed as I enjoy the stuff out of the Barossa but having said that, it's not a bad drop. We had it with dinner. Spicy Asian cuisine. It went down very well. It wasn't bold and powerful at all. I thought it was quite mellow, subtle and easy to drink. We had a glass or two after dinner, on its own and it was again, easy to drink, even without food. Price is a bit high - if you've got a Dan Murphy near you, you could easily get something far better in that price range.

No comments:

Post a Comment