Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mariner Pinot Noir - Marlborough, NZ

Pinot Noir is a tricky wine. Everyone wants to grow this grape. Recently, I came across a winemaker from the Pemberton area, WA and he told me that they grow this grape and make pretty good Pinot Noir. I tasted the wine he so graciously gave me. I told him it wasn't good. He probably doesn't like me that much any more but the reason I told him that was simple - I told him the truth. He came back with "this is not the top range, mind you" and I told him that's good because I would've been worried about his winery if it was.
Mariner Pinot Noir is a wine that has a feel-good wholesomeness to it. It is something that you'd want to take for a nice sunny lunch in the winters. Share it with friends and family. This is the wine that'll make you a star if you take it to a dinner party. It's not easily available and that's the downside. It's extremely likeable. Easy to drink and goes very well with food. Try it with whatever you like. Personally, I think you need to drink a good wine with something that you like. Lamb, Chicken, Steak, Pork - vegetarian stuff. Anything. Even fish, if you're a seafood person. Mariner uses this new thing called a zork. It's a rubber cork-screw cap combination. I quite like this idea - no cork (which is always good) and it's better than a screw cap as it fits back in quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment