Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Experimental Cuisine

In more recent years, best restaurant awards have been going to places that do cuisine that can be described as experimental. Heston Blumenthol has pioneered this. This year's winner, Noma, a Danish restaurant, seems to be  taking it to the next level. Edible dirt is one thing that stands out from the menu. Using science to come up with stunning food. Heston has come up with, using a laboratory-style kitchen, perfect (according to him) everyday dishes like bangers and mash etc. I think it being 'perfect' requires it to be done in an everyday style. Using an everyday kitchen. What he has come up with, can be described as a scientifically created, controlled version of everyday food. Without the errors, limitedness and non-perfectness of an everyday kitchen. 
How does it taste? Well, I haven't tasted any of it so I can only imagine. It would taste great. But not the same. I've had Thai food at very expensive restaurants with kick-ass commercial kitchens. Street food in Thailand, cooked using minimal equipment, usually no the side of a busy highway, tastes better.
I rest my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment